Starting out my career in Ireland as a music teacher, I quickly discovered that I did not have the skills to deal with the everyday problems and difficulties that can interfere with learning, development and progression in the classroom. This led me to change direction in my career path and to seek out the training needed to effect real, long term change in the lives of people.
I studied family therapy, addiction studies, human development and finally qualified as a Cognitive Behaviour Therapist from the Institute of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy in Ireland in 1999. I also went on to gain a Masters Certificate in Mediation from the International Mediation Institute.
Since then my roles have included the management of a number of projects in Ireland in the areas of social care and education. I also developed my own training, mediation and psychotherapy business near Dublin where I also ran my own training centre and private practice. Over the years I have been interviewed on various national radio stations in Ireland about my work and on specific emotional and behavioural issues and I have contributed to a number of Irish magazines and newspapers. I have also been guest speaker at conferences and workshops on mental health issues.
People say my style is direct and factual but with an underlying understanding and compassion for the human condition. I am passionate about my work and feel privileged to have been given the opportunity in my life to empower people to change their lives. My use of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as my primary tool means that my clients are empowered to realise real change in their lives and their behaviour by taking control of their own thought patterns.
Over the last 17 years in Ireland I have:
- Provided individual Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to over 600 individuals,
- Provided training and support to Teachers in 153 schools and educational projects,
- Provided CBT support, personal supervision and mentoring to 110 managers and team leaders,
- Delivered over 1600 training sessions to professionals in the area of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy,
- Provided 210 ‘Think Healthy’ training courses to companies and organisations,
- Worked directly with children in approximately 40 schools and projects,
- Worked as an emotional and behavioural consultant for over 50 schools and projects,